Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Cracking" up in Aussie-Land!

Welcome to Phillips Island! Where people come to sit 'crack' and relax!


Since the last post we drove south from Sydney to Phillips Island, and then onto Melbourne. We were a little regretful of our decision to drive...most of the drive was in the evening. So, the views we read about, along the Princes Highway, were left up to our imagination.
I also think that Andreas was getting a little tired of me 'forgetting' how to drive when it seemed too be my turn...I displayed this forgetfulness by a.) acting really sleepy...far to sleepy to be behind the wheel, b.) complementing him on what a GREAT driver he was...far superior to me...and if both of those failed, c.) pretending not to understand what he was saying...followed by extensive begging not to 'make me drive'...which always seemed to work! ;-)

Anyways, the past few days have been FILLED with events that both of us will never forget! I will explain more throughout the photos.

Enjoy!

As promised, but nothing spectacular....a few photos from the Sydney Opera House - Madame Butterfly!


She was incredible!


We're going to the ballet!

Andreas was not allowed to take ANY photos of my shoes...I wore black flip flops to the ballet. YES, old ladies dressed up to the nines were giving me VERY dirty looks. Oh, did I mention that my dainty sweater was actually a black fleece that said Kathmandu on it...Sooooo under dressed! Oh well, I LOVED IT!

Phillip Island:
Andreas and I were heading south...and planning to stop at Lakes Entrance for the evening. We were starving, and my map said there was a McDonald's not far ahead of us. After looking for it on the highway for over 30 min, we concluded that we must have passed it, and just not seen the sign...which seems impossible...since its never hard to find a Mickey D's. Our starvation was reaching an unbearable point when we spotted the worst image ever...chillin in the middle of the road. Like a mirage in the desert, there was a Quarter Pounder Mickey D's Burger Box sitting in the middle of the road. What a mean joke...God really does have of a sense of humor!
We ended our disappointing drive down the Princes Highway at Phillip Island...which was home to the GREATEST experience to date....at least for me!

In case you were wondering what the amazing views were along the Princes Highway...this was an absolute highlight! I was curious if Berry was someone's name...OR if it was quilts and crafts made from Berries...almost caused me to go in and check it out.....but I noticed Andreas was looking like he needed a break from driving so I quickly had to change my focus from the Berry Quilts to pretending to be asleep.

Cappuccino...my new drink of choice! They come with Chocolate on top. Just a Deee-lightful cup of happiness!

Lexi...Hunter...Sav...Aww, miss them!(random story - going along with the deadly snakes and spider's theme i've already discussed on this blog....We stopped at a park to relax for a few min, and use the public restrooms. <That's where we spotted this pup>  I went to the restroom, and quickly returned...announcing to Andreas that there were spider's looking at me in the restroom...I was certain they were waiting for a vulnerable moment to jump at me, and bite me.  Andreas tried to reason with me, saying that I had to grown a thicker skin or else this trip was going to be very hard for me...esp as we start to stay in hostels, etc. I responded with the following statement...."I have a thick skin. Honey, this is an extreme situation!"  Andreas wanted me to share with all of you that I think spider's hanging out in public restrooms, looking at me, is labeled an 'extreme situation'! For the record...I think most ladies would have reacted the same way...but in the interest of keeping this blog TOTALLY UNBIASED....I decided to share this story. ;-)
Our little B&B on Phillip Island...Susan was our wonderful host...liked to use the word Divine! She recommended a trip to the Wildlife Park, which turned out to be MY life-changing experience!

Our 'Divine' room at the B&B - The Lilly Pilly Room

Susan put this 'Divine' Port in our room and then brought us a bottle of Merlot...she was...Divine!

Sunset the first night, near our B&B

Take one of me!

Somehow, I think I focused the picture on My Husband...and yet it looks like he focused my photo on The Moon!  Whatever....the shot I took of him was better, don't you think? ;-)

Sunset, Phillip Island

This one's for you Raphael...fine print reads FOSTER"S

I guess Andreas was missing the OLD Shan!

This was one of those moments when you read about there being 12,000 seals on a rock at the very tip of the island. Then, you drive all the way out to the end of the island, park your car, walk down to the edge of the cliff...and look around aimlessly like a jackass...because the damn seals are on a different island that appears to be the size of your little finger....out in the middle of the ocean. On the bright side...walking down to this sham of a tourist trap, my dress only flew up over my head once (the only memory of this site was an embarrassing one)

Oh, and I snapped this photo of my husband...cutie-pie!

I looked, didn't see any crossing or hitch-hiking!

Motorcycle Race Track on the water. Pretty cool to watch

Andreas feeding the little guy!

Look at him...he looks like a little old man...talking about the Roo! ;-)

I like to think they were all saying..."I wanna see America..take me with you"

Rose...here we go again....LOTS of questions...might even ask a few of the same one's over, and over, and over.....

He was hiding...you could see his little eye's looking out at me. He was so cute...eventually, I got to pet him. P.S. in case you hadn't figured it out yet...This was my LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE! I chilled with kangaroo's for an afternoon...Andreas had to drag me out of this place!




Hop Hop Hop

Hello...quick, jump into my purse!

I'm never leaving this place!!!! I was in love with these little guys!

Hmm, not so much in love with these guys! They have been known to kill people, in the wild. Naturally, Andreas wanted me to feed it for the purpose of a photo opportunity...that's my hand on the bottom right of the photo...I couldn't execute! I simply love my right hand far to much! He did it instead...I filmed it! I can happily report that he is annoyed at his wimpy wife...but still has all of this fingers. This is important news because Andreas hanging onto all 10 fingers was a requirement written into our marriage agreement!

Wombat...don't feed they bite...GREAT, moving onto more Roo's

Hopping over to me for food...falling in love with these cute little things!

The one to my left has a baby in her pouch!

Baby!

The little guy hopped out of the pouch to eat out of my hand! It was so cute and so tiny! Then...he climbed right back in to the pouch!

Baby!

Roo Poo!!!!

Ok, this was my face when I saw what's been haunting me for the last few days in Sydney!

These creepy guys are fruit bats...they are all over this country! They scare the living daylights out of me! They are enormous and scary! Good thing they were kept in a building I could peer into and then run away! 

Koala! Sleepy Koala!




 The Penguin Parade on Phillip Island:
Andreas and I went to this event on our last evening on the island. The night before, around 900 little penguins came onto shore in this area and walked up into the brush areas where they burrows are located. We were amazed by their personalities and social behaviors. All of them would come out of the water in little groups, and stick together, like a little army, as they crossed the beach. We were not allowed to take pictures or video...Andreas made me abide by the rules. So, I pulled this video off youtube, of the event...obviously not everyone plays by the rules at the Penguin Parade.

P.S. the quality of this video isn't great, but it gives you an idea of what we saw.

http://youtu.be/dFO_vCEHQUs


We were VIP Penguin Parade watchers...we bought the 'Private Penguin Parade Experience'
The Experience included a private tour of the grounds...then, just before the penguins arrived on the beach, we were taken down into the front row of the viewing area...right in front of all the little 5 yr old kids that had been there for hours (securing their front row seats). It was a great experience..but Andreas did feel a little bad about sitting in front of the kids (It didn't phase me one bit) ;-)

Very sad...our trip has been filled with so many photos...sorry we couldn't share this experience! However, if you are ever in the Melbourne area...we absolutely recommend the Parade!

Sunday, April 18th, the night before our viewing, the little penguins arrived at 6:20 and there were 959 of them!

Some of these little guys have burrows in the car park area...yep you see them crossing streets...this is there home, we really are just visitors. So, you do check under your car when you leave

Our VIP Pass!
 Melbourne, Australia
The Westin Hotel! Andreas booked some amazing hotels along our trip. This hotel was one of them...Heavenly beds, spa, gym, pool....he had to drag me out of this hotel ( we are heading to the northeast coast where we will be staying on hostels from here on out in Australia...it was very heard to leave my heavenly bed)

Poor kid doesn't have a chance in life....he's carrying a pony purse with a leash attached! LADY, DO YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO HAVE FRIENDS?

Monarch Cafe in St. Kilda! Yum Yum Yum...4 desserts and 2 cappuccino's later...Andreas and  I were VERY VERY happy!
Dad - This video is for you! Walk Walk Walk...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsQW_FqhDr0 



I don't know who Australia's most awarded ho is...but I am willing to bet my 'crack selling' friend had and idea... 

I am not sure...but I believe that they guys were dancing in honor of Aussies most awarded ho...


Ladies and Gents...Now for the highlight of my husbands trip...so far: I found out that you could rent courts at Rod Laver Arena (home of Australian Open Tennis) So, I booked the Margaret Court Arena for 1 hr yesterday...Andreas loved every minute of it...I had a great time too!

Player Cafe & Walk-Way inside the Player's Club area

Quiet Please! (voice from stands - Shannon Heid I LOVE you!!!) Quiet Please, players are ready!

Andreas asked me to stand still so he could set up the camera...this is me standing still!

Taking a few shots on Margaret Court Arena

Look at that form!


The following link is a 15 min video of Andreas and I playing on the Margaret Court Arena...its long, but totally show's our competitive sides...if you choose not to watch the video, that's fine, just know that I kicked his butt! ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR1E-OG57v4


Andreas was like a little kid in a candy store...he was so giddy and excited! It was great to experience this with him!

The little black card access at the bottom of this photo had the Siemens Logo on it! GO Siemens!!!


If you look close...that's me...pulling a muscle! ( I mean that...my little cheer-leading move cased me a considerable amount of pain the following day)

Downtown Melbourne
Hope you all enjoyed a few photos from this leg of the trip. We are now in Cairns, Australia, and will slowly make our way down the East Coast until we arrive in Brisbane on May 1st or 2nd.

Talk to you all again from the East Coast!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE traveling with you thorough your blog. The pictures are great. Check out my latest post to see how Simon is growing. There is another new one below this too. http://itsapowersfullife.blogspot.com/2011/04/29-weeks-down-11-to-go.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanon & Andreas,
    This blog is awesome!!! You two are great at this traveling and then sharing everything with us. I am so jealous about the Kangaroo experience, I would love to do that. I miss you both so much, but I am so happy to see how much fun you are having on this adventure. Keep the pics coming, we are all really enjoying them.
    Love you both,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice footwork Shannon ! A little more tennis practice and you may actually beat Andreas ; ) Let's play some doubles when you guys return. Nancy will see that I'm not the only one making manly victory screams on the court !! Guillaume

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome !!! Again! Keep it up! and bring a kangaroo home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Jordane...Kangaroo's make amazing NYC pets!
    Miss you guys! Keep having fun and blogging about it! It's so fun to see all the things you guys have been up to!
    Love ya'll :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. a big kiss from germany ;o)
    So many adventures to follow... thank you for posting all the beautiful pictures!
    "Happy Easter"-greetings from us - Lisann and Jens loved to search all the candys in our garden with our new terrace... or should I say - Jens loved eating all of MY candys! But we had a wonderful day with beautiful weather.
    Well, enjoy your time and we send you big hugs and kisses! Can't wait for Paris ;o)
    Love, Susanne with family

    ReplyDelete