Wednesday, May 25, 2011

When buying a Tie in Thailand...you must be very clear what KIND OF TIE/THAI you'd like to buy!

Flying to Bangkok!!!


VIDEO:
Finding A Happy Place....while driving to the hotel on the first night in Bangkok!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeT0RHTtqkQ

While in Bangkok, Andreas convinced me to go get a traditional 2 hr Thai Massage. It was one of the most memorable experiences of the trip. We were taken to a room, and asked to change into massage robes. We were then told to lay down on two beds next to each other in the same private room. I must say, I was a little nervous as I've heard that these massages can often times hurt. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that a Thai Massage is nothing more than a 'good stretch' for the athletically limber and flexible. My poor Andreas, on the other hand, had a much different experience. About 5 min into the massage, I hear a terrible roar of pain from the bed next to me. There was a rather large massage therapist (who I now call Helga the masseuse from Hell) on top of Andreas, stretching his leg in a way that, it appeared, it shouldn't go. She was quick to smile and say 'sorry,' which was one of the only English words she knew, and she also taught him how to 'tap out' like in wrestling when you can't take a hold any longer. In his defense, I must share, that he never 'tapped out,' and endured, what sounded like, a lot of pain for almost 2hrs. The funny thing was, I loved my experience, while right next to me, I had my husband who was sweating through his clothes and screaming for his mommy! I often times had to hold my hand over my face because the laughing was uncontrollable. I am still waiting for him to say...let's do that again...so far, it appears he is blocking the event from his memory.

Muay Thai Boxing Match at Lumpini Stadium:

The Main Event Winner!
The bleachers at the stadium were packed with locals, each of them screaming at bookies to bet on each flight.







Miss you Meg!

















Sign reads : Ladies, Please don't touch the stage!
This was as close as I was willing to go...didn't want some Thai local to tackle me in order to keep me from touching the stage.

leaving the arena after the fighting was over!

Ry - Got ya these...You Are Welcome!!!...I think with a little nip and a little tuck....we can squeeze ya into them!

Bangkok Through Andreas' Eyes







Ok, this one is through my eyes!

Giant Buddha at Wat Pho

Wat Arun


These temples are all over Bangkok...Andreas was reprimanded once for allowing his feet to face the buddha...However, Andreas is the least flexible person I know, and they require that you sit while inside the temple's....watching him try to cross his legs was worth every trip inside one of these places!





The same giant buddha from before...this thing was massive!
Wat Arun


Out and Around the City
Again, a photo through my eyes. Barefoot Andreas, offering an offering....



Scary...I was seeing a very painful way to breaking all of my bones while trying to climb down from this building.



Something familiar....a medal podium....I declare myself the winner!!! I was sweating to death and about to climb up the stairwell of death...not sure what I was winning, but it wasn't anything good...like a Milka Chocolate Bar!

Note: If you try to rub the buddha belly...they will yell at you!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREAS

At restaurant "Breeze" for birthday dinner!

Birthday Dessert...Yum!
I even got some too!
The outdoor walkway at Breeze...very cool!

Awww...look at the birthday boy's wife!
Here you go Dad....Opus One 2003 for 69,850 Baht

Someone should have taken that cocktail away from the birthday boy....clearly he had had too many already!

Chocolate Buffet at the Sukhothai Hotel

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvuoCf1OuSc


VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfl4eecycTo

It was overwhelming....it almost killed him...his eyes were totally bigger than his little belly!
One of the happiest days of my life....just behind winning the 800m at the Jr. Olympics when I was 10! ;-)
VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKqp23Sjo14

The Sights and Smells of Bangkok:

Chicken stir-fry rice in a pineapple boat at our favorite Bangkok restaurant...Mango Tree

Sirocco Sky Bar

This bar was 10 floors up from Breeze, but the night of Andreas' birthday it was raining out...so we had to swing by for a drink our last night in Bangkok...just to check out the view...and the cocktails!



Absolutely no drinking....smoking....eating....animals.....or.....wait, Andreas, is that a picture of two people stretching each other....oh, never-mind....its a sign for no sex in the cab....gross!  Kinda made me wanna squat over the taxi seat like one squats over a toilet! Its hard to see...look close, third from the left!

CRUISIN'' down the river....
Its hard to see, but this photo says LONG LEASE....I think what they mean is AS 'LONG' AS ITS STANDING...YOU CAN 'LEASE' IT!
7/11 & SATELLITE TV....even the poorest areas of Bangkok need the essentials!

And Finally....Seen through Andreas' eyes
BEAUTIFUL BANGKOK:















This girl was so beautiful....I just sat and watched her for a while on this boat taxi







We have another 2 day layover in Bangkok before heading to Israel in June. We plan to do a little more sightseeing and maybe Andreas will be brave and get another Thai massage.

Hope you are all doing well around the world.

Enjoy ~Shan & Andreas

4 comments:

  1. Loved the boxing photos! You guys keep having a great time and I'll keep wishing I was traveling with you :)
    Hope the boat was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again another great reporting! love the pictures and stories. I went to some of these places in 2007. There was a restaurant called the Dome. It was a sky-high place... with sky-high food prices. but the view was maybe just as good.

    Keep sharing... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos! I definitely want to go back to Thailand this year. Have you been on an elephant yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog aware me about different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids. Few websites provide combined courses and few of the are separately for single subject. Glad to get this information.
    ถั่ง เช่า ราคา

    ReplyDelete